Barnton Quarry, Edinburgh, Scotland

Visited: July 2010

Barnton Quarry in Edinburgh produced stone until 1914, then used as a RAF fighter command operations room in 1942. A bunker was built in 1952 during Cold War, for correlating information from ROTOR radar stations in Scotoland. 


A restoration project started in 2011, with an aim to create a local Cold War museum and education center, which is to be completed in 2021.



Barnton Quarryは1914年までは採石場として稼働していましたが、その後1942年にはイギリス空軍の戦闘機軍団作業指令室として使用されました。冷戦中の1952年にはスコットランド内のROTOR(ソ連の爆撃に備えて作られた防衛レーダーシステム)からの情報を集めるため、掩体壕(バンカー)が作られました。


2011年には歴史博物館と教育センターの設立を目指した修復計画がボランティアによって始められ、2021年に完成を予定しています。


On the way to the site

former quarry / 旧採石場





Made a friend on the way back :)

No comments:

Post a Comment