Fort de la Chartreuse, Liège, Belgium

Visited: August 2010

The fort was built by the Dutch in 1817 to defend the city of Liege (Belgium did not exist until 1830), but in 1891 it was abandoned as a fort by military and became a simple barrack. 


From 1914 to 1918, it was used as a prison by the German army for hundreds of Belgians who oppose them. 49 people were executed and buried there. Since 1918, it was used as a barrack more than 30 years.


From September 1944 to July 1945, during the Battle of the Bulge, it served as a hospital for US Army.

The Chartreuse was abandoned by the military in 1982. The future of the fort is unknown.


シャルトリューズ要塞は1817年にオランダ軍により建てられ、当初はリエージュの街を防衛する目的でしたが、1891年に軍隊が要塞としての使用を辞め、兵舎として使用されることになりました。

1914年から1918年にはドイツ軍が反逆するベルギー人を収容するための牢屋として使用しました。何百万人もが収容され、49人が銃殺され敷地内に埋葬されました。その後は30年以上にわたり、シャルトリューズは兵舎として使用されたようです。


1944年9月から1945年7月バルジの戦い中にはアメリカ軍により病院として使用されました。


1982年に軍隊が使用を辞め、廃墟となりました。今後この廃要塞がどうなるかは不明のままです。









     












 









Met new friends on the way :)





No comments:

Post a Comment